I suck at editing

Editing has never been my forte. I've tried it many times, but the results never quite come out the way I would like them to. I seem to have a hard time getting the final project to look like what I had pictured in my head. Even with what I've learned in AICE Media Studies like hiding cuts in motion or match cuts, they always tend to seem choppy to me. Because of this, I spent hours and hours trying to piece together two minutes of video in a way that made some sort of sense, as I do with anything relating to film. And even then the audio, oh the audio! It was such a challenge to line everything up and get all the pieces to fit together. Since the background noise was inconsistent in all of the shots I had to separate them and cut them into little sections of white noise without any talking or noise that was inconsistent with the shot (banging from god knows where). Even then, it was difficult to get everything to be smooth and if you listen closely to the ambient sounds little breaks and repeats in the sound can be heard as they are edited on top of one another as you can see below .

Aside from that, I think one of the better choices I made as I was editing was having both dialogue and ambient noise over the blackouts for credits. The credits were initially going to be silent, but this change allowed the credits to be distinctly separate from the rest of the film while still keeping the audience immersed in the world of the film since the character from whose point of view the story is being told is experiencing similar blackouts in her memory.
 

Comments

Popular Posts