The Challenge of Comedy

I've always been interested in comedy. As a former drama students, I always loved to perform comedic monologues that would light up a room with laughter. The problem with comedy is that it's always a challenge. It's so subjective that its difficult to create original content that appeals to a variety of audiences. Often times, films will resort to basic slap stick humor that is childish and foolish at best and crude and offensive at worst. Despite my love for comedy, I don't think it's really feasible for me to put together something that I would be proud of in the short amount of time we have to work on this project and with such a limited idea of what I want to do with my project.

Focusing back on my original genre idea of suspense/thriller I did a bit of research on how to effectively created an engaging film for an audience. According to this video by Lessons from the Screenplay, this is done by controlling the amount of information and knowledge available. The most important part of creating suspense is keeping an audience wondering and forcing them to connect the dots themselves, while still giving them just enough metaphorical dots for them to understand. I have to come up with a story that can be told from a perspective with a limited point of view that creates interesting and engaging reveals for the audience.

Comments

Popular Posts